Friday, January 7, 2011

Our Path to Nolan

Many people were surprised when we broke the news that we were adopting (and honestly, I think we were still a little surprised ourselves!) We had thrown around the idea of adopting, but had probably talked to a handful of people about it seriously...the decision transpired rather quickly and so I thought I would fill you in on the perfect path that God took us on to our adoption decision. Not everyone is okay with their names being blasted on the internet like I am, so I'll use initials, but if you know us or them you will probably know who I'm talking about!

I don't even know if she knows this, but one of my sweetest friends, G.B., with a heart for God and a heart for orphans (let's be honest-she just has an awesome heart in general) opened my eyes to the orphan crisis and to adoption. I mean, I knew there were orphans and even thought it would be amazing to adopt ONE DAY, but I didn't really KNOW about the orphan crisis and I didn't really KNOW how God continually calls us to care for the fatherless. So, she opened my eyes, got my wheels turning and encouraged me to type in "gotcha day" in a youtube search. And I did...

When I did, I saw this sweet girl as well as followed the journey of some sweet friends who were adopting another sweet girl and my heart was stirred...

One of my very best friends, S.E., hears Gwen Oatsvall speak at church and we begin to talk adoption quite often.  S.E. is my biggest cheerleader and she tells me about all the great things being done by147 Million Orphans.  No more excuses...

Nathaniel and I start to talk about possibly adopting from Africa down the road...

Eyes opened, heart stirred, and with the realization that our excuses are just put in our heads by the devil and fueled by fear, God continues to place people in our path...

An amazing, God loving lady from church, K.B., who I consider a friend as well as a mentor was making sure that our church was aware of the orphan crisis.  She asked the Oatsvalls to speak at our church the first time and then again.  This time Nathaniel and I both go.  God gave Gwen the words to speak to my heart and gave Scott the words to speak to Nathaniel's.  I now knew this was something that we could do... and that we could do and that it was time...

We pray.  We have heart to hearts.  We read scripture. We know our family is not complete and that God has a SON for us in Africa...

Three days later we started to fill out the paperwork to apply to our agency....

Mailed our application and were told that we would here something no sooner than two weeks...

Within 24 hours our application is ACCEPTED!

Isn't God's plan perfect?! I know that God is taking many people down a path much like ours and I know he is doing big things in our life and and in the lives of so many others to bring orphans home...it may be to adopt, to help someone out financially with their adoption, to go on mission trips to orphanages or to sponsor a child....there are SO MANY ways to help!

0 comments: